Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Safe Haven: Book Review

 Over the course of the past 2 days, I have continued to enjoy my novel, Safe Haven. I haven't gotten a lot of reading done in the past two days, but I have gotten enough done to give an accurate book review/recommendation. I would definitely recommend this book to females, simply because of the romance in the novel. If you are a young adult female who enjoys a romance full of mystery, cliff hangers at the end of every chapter, and a heart-melting romance with its own struggles that make it that much more appealing, this novel is definitely for you. I would rate this book a 5/5 stars and I have many reasons for it:

  • First of all, I have always been a fan of Nicholas Spark's novels. I love his style of writing, and this book is actually different in a way than in his previous novels. It expresses all of his best aspects and brings a newer, more current topic into one of his typical romances
  • Also, the characterization in the book is fantastic. It's very clear-cut, giving the reader a great sense of what every character, even the small, unimportant ones, is all about. Character development also plays a huge role in this novel. The way in which Katie develops from chapter to chapter is extremely present in this novel, making her easily identified as a dynamic, as well as a round character. I love this about the novel because I find myself able to connect to her and her personality, even though our lives are so different in so many ways.
  • The setting descriptions in this novel are also spot on. I have personally been to around this part of North Carolina during the summer season, and the way the author describes it is so great, it really brings me back to the time I spent there, I can really feel as if I am in the setting, and more specifically, in the novel.
 Overall, I've just found myself really looking forward to reading during this novel, and it has been great to pick up and read when I'm bored. But, even a five star novel has it's flaws. There are also some things I don't like about this novel, but not many:

  • I don't particularly like the very beginning of the novel, because it has a fairly slow start. This is an important part of the plot and characterization though, so it is not entirely bad. It is just simply slow because Katie is in the state of mind of her against the world, and there is not a lot of interaction between her and other characters, but this changes throughout the novel when Katie begins to break out of her shell
  • Also the vocabulary in this novel is not particularly difficult to understand and comprehend, so this book hasn't exactly built my vocabulary by a great amount, but the diction and tone is more simple, and I think that adds something to the novel, and creates a particular mood, so there is definitely reason behind this.
Below I have included a link to some book reviews on Amazon, so you can get a feel for what others, and not just myself think about this book!(just scroll down a little to get to the actual reviews)
Safe Haven Amazon Reviews


5 comments:

  1. I don't think I will read this book but it sounds like its trying to appeal to girls of all ages so thats why the vocabulary isn't an adult vocabulary. I'm not a fan of tons of romance but it sounds like a decent novel to those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the movie and I really want to read the book!!!! I really like how you can hear your voice in your blog! I also liked how it was organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED the movie!!!! And overall I feel like the plot line of the story is just so unique and heart warming. I totally know what you mean about the way Katie's character develops over the course of the plot. It's really hard to put myself in her shoes, and yet I feel like I can really relate to her (like you said). I really like the way your blog was written. It used great vocab and the way you organized it was really easy to follow. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie and really want to read the book! I like how organized your blog is and I like the way it is written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not remember if i have seen the movie but glad to hear you are loved the book!

    ReplyDelete