Sunday, October 13, 2013

Divergent: So Far/ Characters

After getting off to a slow start with Divergent, I'm actually pretty far into it. I've been able to get a sense of characterization so far, and I also have some questions and predictions. Starting with characters, I would like to first discuss the main character, Beatrice, or "Tris", the new nickname she gives herself when she joins Dauntless. For most of the characters in the novel, the faction which they choose reflects their character. For example, dauntless would be fearless, Abnegation would be selfless, Amity would be cheerful and happy, Erudite would be smart and witty, and Candor would be honest. However, Beatrice is slightly more complicated than this. This is shown towards the beginning of the novel, when she finds out during the faction placement tests that she is divergent, which is said to be very dangerous and means she has the traits of the factions Dauntless, Abnegation, and Erudite. Tris is unlike all of the other characters in this way. She is fearless, but responsible, selfless, but also thinks of herself at times, and witty but not overly book smart. I can predict that she will be a dynamic character, as she will likely discover who she truly is throughout the novelAnother two characters whom I would like to discuss are Four and Eric, who are the leaders of Tris's initiation into Dauntless. Eric is pure Dauntless, which isn't necessarily a good thing. He will probably also be a static character, since he does not seem very susceptible to change. He is fearless but also ruthless and violent, unlike Four, who is also fearless but is responsible, reserved, and composed. He knows the difference between doing something fearless, and doing something insane. There are a lot of different interesting characters in this book, and it really makes the novel more interesting and suspenseful.

I would also like to state a couple of questions and predictions I have in the novel so far. First of all, I am curious to why Divergent is made such a big deal in the book. So far, Beatrice's divergence hasn't really impacted the plot a whole lot in the novel. I predict that this will play a more important role to the plot as the novel progresses, because such an importance is placed on the idea. Also, I am curious as to why Four seems to like Beatrice so much and feel so much sympathy toward her. He seems to show some favoritism toward her, and gives her advice on fighting, as well as the decisions she makes. I predict he almost has some kind of romantic interest in her. That is all I have so far for today, other than that I would definitely recommend reading Divergent to anyone! I think that it is going to be really big, almost comparable to The Hunger Games and it is going to be made into a movie this Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment